"Trajectory Shift" Is A Must Read!

The announcement is here!



Monday, June 29, 2009

Mistakes (lessons from a magic show)

"The lack of avoidable mistakes is the lack of positive assumption" - Trent Williams, 2009.

This I know, mistakes will happen, no matter what you expect. That's why you should "Expect the worst. Prepare for the worst." (another quote I have deceived myself into believing is possibly original).

I was painfully reminded of this truth at my annual children's magic show (which this year was a clown and magic show). I have believed time and time again that certain things can be done without practice, it isn't true. Other assumptions that I have briefly entertained are that the right words will magically come into my mouth at the right time for the right situation, that hecklers don't exist, that all children are mostly good, and that the little details (like what the clowns will do and when) will fall into place, you guessed it, magically (automatically).

Moral:

Minimize assumptions, the positive ones that is. Dreaming is only five times better than doing when you do what you have dreamt.

Back again (for a little while at least),

- Trent

No comments:

Post a Comment